Guided walking tour of Venice and the Doge's Palace
Meet up with your guide on board. The tour will begin with a historical and artistic introduction to Venice with St Mark's Square, after which you will be able to admire the exteriors of St Mark's Cathedral. The Byzantine facades of the Cathedral (one of the most magnificent in the world) will immediately draw your attention. It was built in the 9th century to hold the body of St Mark, Patron Saint of Venice. Only a few pieces of the original structure remain and the present day Cathedral dates back from the 12th, 14th and 15th centuries. The exterior, with its domes, pinnacles and wooden horses, contrasts with the shining golden mosaics of the interior. The tour continues with the Doge's Palace, the residence of the Dukes of Venice and seat of the Venetian government from the 9th century until the Republic fell in 1797. Although there are no longer any traces of the 9th century Byzantine structures, the Palace as we see it today, richly decorated both on the outside and inside, dates back from the 14th century and is considered by many to be the finest in the world. You will then be able to admire the paintings of Tintoretto and Veronese from the top of the famous Golden Staircase before walking through the Grand Council Chamber and out onto the balcony with its fantastic view over the city. You will cross the famous decorated Bridge of Sighs which leads to the prison. The bridge, known in the past as the symbol of the destiny that awaited the prisoners, has more romantic connotations nowadays. Return to the boat on foot.
- The commentary on St Mark's cathedral will be given outside, as it is not authorised inside.
- Passengers will be able to enter the Cathedral during their free time. Modest clothing required. A long queue can be expected.
- Wear sturdy walking shoes: the tour is entirely on foot.
- There are a lot of steps to climb at the Doge's Palace.
- With your tickets for the Doges' Palace, you will have free entry to the Correr Museum and library.
- Depending on where the vessel is moored, we will arrange for shuttle boats if necessary to provide access to the Doges' Palace.
- The order of the visits can change.
- Times are approximate.
Trip code : EXC_VENISE